Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 4: Encuentro

It was both the happiest and saddest day of our life all at one time.  In came in our beautiful girl in the most gorgeous dark purple peacoat and amazing purple and pink shoes.  There she was wailing!  They told us they thought she had an ear infection and to please take her to the doctor.  Both Mark and I alternated holding her trying to see if it would help sooth her but we couldn't get her to stop wailing.  Finally, I (Debi) held her and rocked her and she ended up falling asleep out of pure exhaustion.  In the meantime, Alejandra was trying so hard to make her baby sister laugh.  She kept asking "|What's wrong with Amaya Fernanda?" because she wanted to help. 

We left our "party" all set-up at the ICBF office and got in a taxi and bolted home.  When we got home Amaya was spent, she wouldn't let go of me.  She would bury her face into my shoulder and just sob uncontrollably.  She finally calmed down enough for us to take her to the pediatrician.  We hopped into a taxi and got to Clinisanitas where they confirmed that yes she does have an ear infection.  Of course, she wailed when they had to check her throat and then she screamed when they took her from me to weigh her. 

By the time we got home it was past 8:00 and we quickly fed the girls dinner and then got ready for bedtime.  Alejandra was so excited she had a hard time getting to bed.  This being our first night together I was trying to figure out what Amaya Fernanda's bedtime routine was.  Thankfully she helped me out by pointing me (literally) in the right direction.  But our dear little Amaya was missing her foster family so much that it was very hard to see her grieve right before our eyes.  Her head was buried in the pillows and she was sobbing and wailing ....as I type this I can't help but cry again for her.  Eventually I was able to get her into the portable crib and she slept the whole night.

Mark and I sat by ourselves after bedtime and shed a few tears of happiness for our family and the incredible loss our little Amaya has suffered.  We are sorry that we have not updated much but we are figuring things out over here still and taking care of a teething toddler with an ear infection.  Alejandra has been absolutely wonderful and playful.  She has made us so proud as parents to see what an incredible helper she has been with us these past two days.   Amaya Fernanda is working on trusting her Daddy and this has been a little bit challenging for both mommy and daddy as well.  I will update our Friday on another post...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Debs! This brought tears to my eyes, too. What a blessing to know that she's been taken care of by a family that loved her so much. I can't imagine how difficult it is to watch her grieve but I just keep thinking of all of the joy that is to come. You guys must be exhausted. I'm praying! Love you!

    ReplyDelete