Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 25: Feliz Aniversario

Last night was a pretty restless night for Mark and I.  Alejandra slept with us and she must have been competing in a triathlon in her dreams because she was moving all over the bed all night long.  Also, I was literally having nightmares over the "worm" incident yesterday.  I was concerned about Fernanda and the medicine she was taking, I kept thinking she migh vomit or have some adverse reaction so I kept listening for her all night.  Incidentally, after some "research" it appears as though Fernanda has roundworms not tapeworms (a minor detail...I know).  Mark and I slept about 2 hours or so last night, so it took us a while to get going this morning. ;)  Amaya Fernanda had quite the morning in diaperland.  She went through 3 changes of clothing before we left home.  That medicine is REALLY working! 

While at home our little Amaya Fernanda hit the side of her cheek on the corner of the nightstand.  It broke the skin a little bit and got really puffy.  We thought she would get a huge bruise, but after some ice all that was left was a little red scar on the cheek.  She cried just a little bit, but we picked her up immediately and hugged her.  Alejandra came over and kissed her and said "you'll be okay."  It was a sweet moment between two sisters who are working out their sibling relationship.  I totally understand why it is difficult for the two of them to figure each other out.  Alejandra was an only child and then a 15 month old comes into her world and now she has to share the attention and figure out how to interact with this "not quite a baby, but not big enough to keep up with me" little one.  Amaya Fernanda was in a home with 2 other foster children, but it seems as though she was the queen bee there, too.  Now, Amaya Fernanda comes into our home and she has to share me (her mom) with all of these other people.  She observes how Alejandra interacts with Mark and myself and she so badly wants to jump in there but she isn't comfortable enough yet.  She loves to play with Alejandra but she will pinch and hit her if we are not supervising the playing.  We are seeing more positive interactions between the two girls and as they make memories together their relationship will grow as well.  We've only been together as a family for 21 days so we are all learning from each other.

Eventually we ended up going to the nana's old neighborhood near estadio El Campin.  We went to Galerias and tried to find shoes for Alejandra.  We found a few pairs of the cutest little Bubblegummers that will be perfect for school next year.  We ended up back at the nana's old house on calle 57 and we got to eat the best pizza at Piccolino.  Mark LOVED the pizza!  Then it started pouring down rain and we spent 20 minutes trying to hail a taxi.  Thankfully we finally got one and then we headed back home, where Amaya Fernanda and I took a 20 minute nap on the sofa....we were beat!

Tonight the nana's surprised with a pastel negro to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary.  It was so good and a great way to celebrate our 10 years together.  Mark and I were remembering our wedding day and what a beautiful day that was.  Then we started talking about how for almost 7 years we didn't have children and how different our lives were.  We were trying to remember what we used to do with all of that free time? :D  We love how our life together has panned out.  Each step we have taken has been done with great care and discussion.  We enjoyed our life with no children and now we absolutely love every aspect of being a parent to two amazing girls.  Not every day is without its struggles, but in the end we wouldn't change it.  So on our 10th anniversary we are proud to say our family is complete!  We have two healthy girls with the biggest laughs and smiles.  We are blessed beyond measure....what more could a parent ask for?

Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. You are right, you cannot ask for anything else. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I am glad you guys know the problem with Amaya Fernanda and she is getting better. I don't know if you already have plans for tomorrow afternoon but we can probably try to do something with the kids. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete