Today was quite a busy day! We were taken to the passport office at 9:30 a.m. and it was SO busy...even with priority handling it took us 1.5 hours to complete the application process. But, that was the least of our worries today. Her passport should be ready to pick up by Friday and then we will head over to the embassy doctor for the check-up. Tuesday we go to the U.S. Embassy and Thursday we are on our way home!
After the embassy we headed to the clinic. Then after the clinic we went to Archie's for one last day of pizza making for Alejandra. She was excited for her big sister surprise!
Here is the disclaimer: this is going to get pretty gross so stop reading if you have a light stomach or get grossed out easily :D.
So in the middle of our long wait little Fernanda looked at me with watery eyes. It was the potty look so I knew that I needed to go and change her quickly given her diarrhea situation. So off we went to use a bathroom with no diaper change area. I had to lay her on the changing mat on the floor of the handicap stall and change it there. Thankfully she was cooperating with me and stayed pretty still. So of course it was SUPER messy and I had to basically give her a bath with wipes. When I went to ball up the wipes and put them in her diaper I saw the GROSSEST thing ever. It looked liked spaghetti at first, but I thought we haven't eating spaghetti. Then the spaghetti like thing moved....EWWWW! I yelled to Mark who was standing outside the women's restroom "you are not going to believe what is in this kid's diaper!" I finished changing her and put her clothes back on. Then I (OF COURSE) showed Mark the diaper because I didn't want him to think I was going crazy and he was as grossed out over it as I was. I disposed of the diaper and with pale faces we both walked over to Lucia our agency representative. I whispered to Lucia what had just happened and she said "after this you go straight to the clinic." So we left to the clinic after the passport and Amaya Fernanda was diagnosed with tapeworms. The doctor said it is uncommon for a child so young to have them, but she probably got it from water that was improperly sterilized. Since she was fed formula for so long this was probably the case for her. So although Mark and I will probably have nightmares after seeing a "worm" in her diaper we are glad we did see it and know for certain what she has. Now we are on our way to recovery and she should be all clear by Friday. Gross....YES WE KNOW!
SO gross. I should have stopped reading but I couldn't. Blech! Glad you guys know what it is finally. Here's to cleaner diapies SOON! XO
ReplyDeletebut an early diagnosis... that's a good thing, mama! things are going quickly! so happy for you all!
ReplyDeleteActually not grossed out at all....laughing my butt off on the thought of you showing Mark the diaper and grossing him out. Carlos would have barfed for sure. Poor little Fernanda - at least you know now and she can recover with your proper care. :)
ReplyDelete