We are hoping to arrive in Bogota at least 2 days prior to our encuentro date so we have time to settle into our home away from home, before adding another little one to the family. Our best estimate is that we will be in Bogota around April 25th. This would be pretty amazing given that our 3 year Gotcha' Anniversary with Alejandra is April 28th! We will more than likely celebrate Mother's Day in Colombia. I couldn't think of a better Mother's Day gift!
On the work front...the longer wait time has allowed us to prepare for our leaves. Mark has been insanely busy for quite a long time now. He will stay in Colombia the entire time and we are looking into renting an apartment so that he can still work if he needs to. I have been working on preparing my classroom for a long term substitute since December. We had a non-student prep day a few weeks ago and I was able to reorganize and label everything. I will let my families know of my leave at Open House at the end of March when I will be able to let them know who will be taking over the class and when exactly my last day is. I have not mentioned anything at all to them so this will come as a complete shock. When someone is pregnant it is an obvious thing that needs no explaining, but adoption is different. I'm hoping that 2 weeks is "just enough" time for my students and parents to process my leave. Alejandra's preschool teacher left abruptly at the end of December and we did not like how it felt to have her leave without letting us know.
On the packing front (YES we already thinking about packing)...we purchased a sit and stand stroller a couple of weeks ago and we've been testing it out. So far Alejandra LOVES the freedom she has in it. We did use a stroller a lot the last time we were in Bogota because we walked so much. Our agency had told us not to bring one and we ended up borrowing one the entire time we were there. I've been setting aside special things to entertain little A on the plane. The latest purchase....markers! Rumor has it that someone is getting an iPad for their birthday (READ: ME!) so that will give us hours of entertainment. We also are debating between getting Alejandra the vReader or Leapster Explorer as a surprise present for the plane ride. Our goal is to take 4 pieces of luggage total (this includes a Pack and Play if we stay at the rental apartment) and 3 carry-ons plus the stroller. I know we will be buying a lot of things to bring back home once we are there so we want one piece of luggage to be pretty empty.
On the reading front....I'm loving this new book "Todder Adoption: the weaver's craft." Mark is going to read "The Connected Child" and then we'll compare notes. Mark is also studying his español using a book and cd program (NOT Rosetta).
So we're keeping busy over here at Casa Adelman!
Our youngest who is 5 loves his Leapster. It seems very durable and keeps him entertained for a long time. The batteries seem to last a long time too! Extra games are small and easy to pack.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the planning and preparing. So excited for all of you!
How exciting. Angelica got a leapster explorer for Christmas and she LOVES her "Gecca's DS". Can't wait to see pics of your new little one.
ReplyDelete