Monday, February 14, 2011

1 year ago...

One year ago today Mark, Alejandra, and I were all sitting on the couch enjoying a nice relaxing Sunday.  We aren't big Valentine's Day gift givers but today Mark said he had a gift for the family.

Initially when we adopted Alejandra we knew we would be back to bring home our second child but the matter of "WHEN?" was what was up in the air.  At certain points we would go between "maybe never," "today," to "in a few years."  But, lately we had really been discussing the possibility of beginning sooner, rather than later.  What we did know for certain was that we both needed to be 100% ready for this second addition.
2.24.10 - Initial application off to CHI

So on Valentine's Day 2010, Mark pulled us aside and told Alejandra "we are going to get your baby brother or sister from Colombia" and so it was!  Paperwork began and this whole year has been a whirlwind of notaries, apostilles, letters, fingerprints, applications, FedEx, and many appointments.  Time has both flown by and moved at a snail's pace.

Alejandra is also excited to welcome her baby home.  Last Thursday on our way home from school she said "Mamí yo quiero ir en un avión."  I asked her where she wanted to go and she replied "a Colombia."  I asked her why Colombia "Porque quiero ir por mí baby."  She made me get teary-eyed and all I could muster up was "yo también."  Then, we finished the last few minutes of our drive in silence.  I couldn't speak because I thought I would loose it.   I don't want Alejandra to feel anxious or worried at all so we are so careful to always present the wait to her in a positive way.  We've been preparing her for this transition for a whole year now and I think she is BEYOND ready too.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, sweet Debs. That is the cutest thing ever! Alejandra is going to be the most wonderful sister.

    ReplyDelete